Sunday, September 04, 2005

Chinatown

I now know for sure that I WILL be okay. Well food-wise anyway. Today I woke up with plans of going to Target around the corner to finish up on my shopping list. But I woke up and stared out my window, as I have started to make a habit of, and saw that there were many numerous booths set up along a street. So I decided to walk there and discovered it was more like a flea market than a farmer’s market. I also found that the grocery store along the same street is 24 hours so that’s some useful information. I walked along the entire strip of ghetto booths and came across cheap 5-12 dollar dvd’s. I questioned if they were truly functioning dvd’s and came very close to purchasing one. Being the indecisive individual that I’ am, I stared at the dvd’s at every available booth… during this time, there was a pair of Mexican guys that went to every booth I was at. I had already noticed this, but they took much later to. Eventually one of them mentioned to the other, “That girl right there’s been at every place we been at… watch.” I just walked faster and lost them, just so I can prove him wrong. Should I have been intimidated by a guy who asked for “The Little Mermaid” at every booth?

Later, I decided to spontaneously walk an unknown distance to Chinatown. I was quite reluctant at first because the rule here seems to be “just stay north” due to the fact that every other direction is pretty ghetto. Not knowing what to expect, I finally arrive to “Chinatown market”. Heaven. I end up buying candy and asiany seasonings to cover up the taste of anything atrocious I may cook up. I walk around some more and discover “Wok ‘n Things” to buy chopsticks and find ridiculous amounts of tapioca/food/herbal stores concentrated in a small area. You know that you’re home when you walk into a store and find decapitated snapping turtles and piles of dried seahorse. Ah comfort. The long walk was well worth it and it also led me to use the train to get home, all by myself! The stop I got off at gave me another idea to stop by the enormous library in downtown. After coming home, I got to use my new pot to cook rice in (which I had never done) and the end product was short of perfect.

Still, I feel accomplished. I’m a big kid now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home